Type: Main Dishes
For special occasions, this subtly spiced, aromatic dish from India is often decorated with small pieces of edible silver leaf
Prep Time: prep 20 mins
Cooking Time: cook 30 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- one 3in ( 7.5cm) cinnamon stick, broken into 2 or 3 pieces
- 6 cardamom pods
- 6 curry leaves (optional)
- 3 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 / 2 tsp ground cumin
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1in ( 2.5cm) pieces
- 1 1 / 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 / 2 cup golden raisins
- 3 3 / 4 cups chicken stock, as needed
- 2 tbsp toasted sliced almonds
- Heat the oil and butter in a large flameproof casserole over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, about 4 minutes, until translucent. Add the cinnamon, cardamom pods, and curry leaves, if using, and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the curry powder, turmeric, and cumin, and stir for 1 minute. Add the chicken.
- Add the rice and raisins and stir well. Pour in enough stock to just cover the rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer about 15 minutes or until the rice is tender and has absorbed the stock, adding more stock if the mixture becomes dry.
- Transfer to a serving dish, fluffing the rice with a fork. Sprinkle with almonds and serve hot.
- prep 20 mins; cook 30 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!