Chicken Breasts in Garlic Sauce
Don't be put off by the large quantity of garlic, as the flavor mellows in the cooking
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 40 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 15 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 chicken breasts, with skin and bone
- 2 cups hard dry cider
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 / 4 cup heavy cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- Preheat the oven to 350癋 (180癈). Parcook the unpeeled garlic cloves in boiling salted water for 4 minutes. Drain, rinsed under cold running water, and peel. set aside.
- Heat the oil and butter in a shallow flameproof casserole over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, skin side down, and cook for about 4 minutes, or until the skin is deep golden brown. Turn over, add the cider, apple juice, garlic cloves, and bay leaf, and bring to a simmer. Cover and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken shows no sign of pink when pierced with a knife.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken and half of the garlic to a deep platter and keep warm. Skim the fat from the cooking juices, then bring to a boil over high heat. Cook, crushing the garlic into the sauce with a spoon, about 5 minutes, or until thickened.
- Add the cream and cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Return the chicken to the casserole and baste. Sprinkle with the thyme and serve immediately.
- prep 10 mins; cook 40 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!