Chicken Chow Mein
This popular one-pot Chinese dish is a colorful, tasty medley of noodles, chicken, mushrooms, and vegetables
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 15M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 12oz ( 350g) fresh Asian-style egg noodles or linguine
- 4 tbsp plus 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, plus more to serve
- 1 tbsp rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, cut into 1in ( 2.5cm) lengths
- 5oz ( 140g) shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and chopped
- one 3/4 in ( 2cm) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and shredded
- 6 skinless and boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4oz ( 115g) green beans, cut into 1in ( 2.5cm) lengths
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the noodles and cook according to the package instructions. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Drain and toss with 1 tsp of the oil. Mix the stock, soy sauce, and rice wine in a bowl, sprinkle in the cornstarch and stir to dissolve.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Add the scallions, mushrooms, red pepper, and ginger. Stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil and heat. In two batches, add the chicken and stir-fry until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to the vegetables.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp oil to the wok and heat. Add the green beans and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Add the noodles and return the chicken and vegetables to the wok. Add the stock mixture and stir-fry about 2 minutes, or until the noodles are piping hot. Serve at once, with soy sauce for seasoning.
- low in saturated fat
Seafood Chow Mein: Instead of chicken, use the same weight of raw shrimp, shelled and deveined, or a mixture of shrimp and other seafood such as scallops. Reduce the cooking time to 1-2 minutes. In step 3, add 4oz (115g) of bean sprouts along with the green beans.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!