Dijon mustard, mushrooms, and fresh garlic add luscious taste to chicken.
Serves: 4 servings
- 1/3 cup chicken broth, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 4 ounces each)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed fresh garlic, or 3/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup nonfat or light sour cream
- Place 1 tablespoon of the broth and all of the cornstarch in a small bowl, and stir to dissolve the cornstarch. Set aside.
- Rinse the chicken with cool water, and pat it dry with paper towels. Spread the garlic over the chicken, and sprinkle with the pepper.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium-high heat. Place the chicken in the skillet, and cook for 2 minutes on each side, or until nicely browned.
- Reduce the heat to low, and pour the remaining broth into the bottom of the skillet. Arrange the mushrooms around the chicken, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and no longer pink inside.
- Transfer the chicken to a warm serving platter. Remove the mushrooms from the skillet with a slotted spoon, and place on top of the chicken. Cover the platter to keep it warm.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture, and add it to the skillet. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens slightly.
- Add the mustard and sugar to the liquid in the skillet, and whisk over low heat to mix well. Add the sour cream, and whisk until the sauce is smooth and heated through. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and mushrooms, and serve hot with wild rice, brown rice, or noodles, if desired.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.