Chicken Doner Kebab
Cayenne pepper gives these chicken kebabs a yummy kick.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 15M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, about 6oz (175g) each, cut into thin strips
- 4 pita breads
- 1 small head of crispy lettuce, such as romaine or iceberg, shredded
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 head red cabbage, shredded
- hot chili sauce
- prepared garlic mayonnaise
- 1 ripe tomato, sliced
- 1/4 cucumber, sliced
- whole pickled jalape駉s, for serving
- In a bowl, mix together the cayenne pepper, olive oil, and a quarter of the lemon juice. Add the chicken strips, and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Heat the grill until hot. Arrange the chicken strips in a shallow baking pan, and cook under the hot grill for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Lightly toast the pita breads, and cut open to form a pocket.
- Stuff each pita pocket with a handful of lettuce, onion, and red cabbage, then the chicken pieces. Dress with lemon juice, chilli sauce and garlic mayonnaise to taste. Garnish with tomato, cucumber, and a jalape駉. Serve immediately.
- Use wholemeal pit a bread for an even healthier dish.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!