A really useful recipe, popular with all ages, these chicken drumsticks can feed a crowd, and you'll have none of the big allergens to worry about.
Prep Time: 5M, plus chilling
Cooking Time: 14M-16M
Serves: serves 4
Dairy, egg, gluten, & nut free
- 3 tbsp corn or other flavorless nut-free oil
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tbsp wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika (pimentón)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- Mix all the ingredients, except the drumsticks, in a shallow sealable container, seasoning well with salt and pepper.
- Make several slashes in the flesh on each chicken leg before adding them to the marinade-this lets the flavor in and also helps them to cook more evenly. Turn the drumsticks to coat them thoroughly.
- Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and shake off the excess.
- Cook under a preheated broiler or on the grill for 7-8 minutes on each side or until richly browned and the juices run clear when the skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the meat.
- Check that the mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce, and paprika are gluten free.
- These are delicious served with grilled corn on the cob. Roll the cobs in a mixture of salt, pepper, and chilies, with lime squeezed over, and cook under a broiler or on a grill. Note that some people are sensitive to chilies, so omit if in any doubt.
Excerpted from Allergy-Free Cookbook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!