Chicken Flattened and Breaded with Lemon and Sage
Chicken breaded and seasoned with lemon and sage makes a simple and delicious dinner.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 15M
Serves: Serves 4
- 4 large skinless boneless chicken breast halves, 7oz (200g) each
- 1 cup toasted homemade bread crumbs (from 3-4 slices firm white bread)
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4-6 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sandwich the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or the side of a rolling pin until very thin and evenly flattened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the bread crumbs and lemon zest in a bowl and season well with salt and pepper. Mix together, then turn out onto a plate. Now put the flour on another plate, and the beaten egg onto yet another. Coat the chicken first in the flour, then the egg, and finally in the bread crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan over high heat. Cook the chicken two pieces at a time for 8-10 minutes, turning once, until golden. Add oil as needed. Transfer to a warm platter. Squeeze the lemon juice into the pan, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon, and mix in the sage. Scrape the mixture over the chicken and serve hot, with a mixed salad.
- Cheat...If you don't want to make your own, you can buy ready-made dried bread crumbs, and store them until required.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!