This hearty soup-stew from Cajun country will have the richest flavor if you use chicken thigh meat
Prep Time: 20M
Cooking Time: 50M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1lb ( 450g) boneless and skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 2 tsp sweet or hot paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- one 14.5oz ( 411g) can chopped tomatoes
- 4oz ( 115g) andouille or kielbasa sausage, sliced
- 8oz ( 225g) frozen sliced okra
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and green pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until softened. Stir in the garlic.
- Add the chicken and cook, turning frequently, about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Stir in the paprika, oregano, cumin, and the flour. Stir for 1 minute, then stir in the stock, tomatoes, and sausage.
- Boil, then reduce the heat to and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the okra and simmer for 20 minutes, until the chicken is tender. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
Seafood Gumbo: Replace the chicken with 1lb (450g) large raw shrimp, shelled, and deveined, and add in step 3 with the okra.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!