Chicken in a Pot
A one-pot meal wonderfully flavored with hard apple cider and root vegetables
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 1H45M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1 chicken, about 3 3/4 lb ( 1.7kg), trussed
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups hard apple cider
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bouquet garni ( 1 celery stalk, 4 thyme sprigs, 4 parsley sprigs tied)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12oz ( 350g) baby carrots, peeled
- 12oz ( 350g) baby new potatoes, scrubbed, but unpeeled
- 2 leeks, thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Using kitchen twine, tie the chicken drumsticks together. Tie twine across the breast to secure the wings down. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole over medium heat. Add the chicken and brown on all sides. Transfer to a plate. Sprinkle flour into the casserole and stir for 2 minutes over low heat until barely browned. Stir in the cider and stock, and bring to a boil.
- Return the chicken to the casserole, breast-side up. Add the bouquet garni and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and bake for 11/4 hours. Add the carrots, potatoes, and leeks. Return to the oven and bake for about 40 minutes more, or until the juices run clear when pierced.
- Transfer the chicken to a carving board. Let stand for 10 minutes. Discard the bouquet garni. Carve the chicken, return to the pot, and sprinkle with parsley. Serve hot.
- large deep flameproof casserole
- freeze after step 3, once cooled completely, for up to 3 months; thaw at room temperature, then reheat
- Good with creamy mashed potatoes and green beans or a green leafy vegetable. Leftovers can be tossed with frisée, grated carrot, and vinaigrette dressing to make a salad.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!