Chicken in Balsamic Vinegar
Type: Main Dishes
This cold chicken dish has a lovely hint of sweetness from the balsamic vinegar and raisins
Prep Time: prep 50 mins, plus overnight marinating
Cooking Time: cook 20 mins
Serves: makes 6 servings
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 / 4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 / 4 cup raisins, plumped up in boiling water for 10 mins and drained
- 1 tbsp chopped basil or tarragon
- zest of 1 lemon
- assorted mixed greens, such as arugula and watercress, to serve
- 1 / 2 cup pine nuts, toasted, to serve
- lemon wedges, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 375癋 (190癈). Using a flat meat pounder, lightly pound the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to an even thickness. Place the chicken in a lightly oiled shallow roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper, then pour the wine over the chicken. Cover with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit inside of the pan. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken is opaque when pierced with a knife. Uncover the chicken, reserve 2 tbsp of the pan juices, and let the chicken and pan juices cool.
- Whisk together the oil and vinegar in a small bowl, then whisk in the reserved pan juices. Add the raisins, basil, and lemon zest. Arrange the chicken in a nonmetallic dish. Pour the dressing over the chicken and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate, turning the chicken at least once in the dressing, for at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator 1 hour before serving. Arrange the mixed greens on a serving platter. Thinly slice the chicken, and place on the greens. Sprinkle with the pine nuts and garnish with the lemon wedges. Serve at once.
- prep 50 mins, plus overnight marinating; cook 20 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!