Although it looks impressive, this dish is quick to make with store-bought puff pastry and leftover chicken
Prep Time: prep 25 mins
Cooking Time: cook 25 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 leeks, white and pale green part only, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 / 2 cup chicken stock
- 2 1 / 2 cups chopped boneless cooked chicken
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- one 17.3oz ( 484g) box thawed frozen puff pastry
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add the leeks and cook for 5 minutes until tender. Sprinkle in the flour and stir. Stir in the stock and bring to a boil, stirring often. Remove from the heat and stir in the chicken, thyme, and lemon juice. Season well with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Dampen a large baking sheet. Roll out one sheet of the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Trim into a 10 × 6in (30 × 15cm) rectangle. Place the pastry on the baking sheet. Roll out and trim the remaining pastry to 10 × 7in (30 × 18cm) rectangle. Lightly dust it with flour, then fold in half lengthwise. Make cuts 1/2in (1cm) apart along the folded edge to within 1in (2.5cm) of the outer edge.
- Spoon evenly over the puff pastry base, leaving a 1in (2.5cm) border. Dampen the edges of the pastry with water. Place the second piece of pastry on top and press the edges together to seal; trim off the excess. Brush with beaten egg. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden-brown and crisp. Cool briefly, then slice and serve hot.
- prep 25 mins; cook 25 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!