Make sure the chicken is thoroughly coated in egg and bread crumbs to prevent the butter from leaking out
Prep Time: prep 25 mins, plus chilling time
Cooking Time: cook 8-10 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 8 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed through a press
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1 / 2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Combine the butter, garlic, parsley, and lemon zest in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. On a piece of plastic wrap, shape into a thick rectangle, then enclose in the plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour, until firm.
- One at a time, pound each breast between two sheets of plastic wrap with a meat pounder to an even thickness. Season the breasts. Cut the butter into 4 equal sticks and place a stick on each chicken breast. Fold in the sides, then roll up the chicken completely around the butter.
- Roll each chicken packet in flour, then in beaten egg, and finally into the bread crumbs to coat evenly. Take care to keep the chicken closed around the butter.
- Add enough oil to come halfway up the sides of a large saucepan and heat over high heat to 350癋 (180癈). Add the chicken and cook about 5 minutes, until deep golden brown.
- Transfer the cooked chicken to paper towels and drain briefly. Serve hot.
- prep 25 mins, plus chilling time; cook 8-10 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!