Type: Main Dishes
Spicy paprika adds both flavor and color to this hearty stew from Hungary
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 40-45 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 chicken thighs
- 2 small red onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 / 4 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 cup hot chicken stock
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 9oz ( 250g) cherry tomatoes
- chopped parsley, to garnish
- sour cream, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole over medium-high heat. Add the chicken thighs, skin side down. Cook about 3 minutes until the skin is golden. Turn and brown the other sides, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onions to the fat in the pan and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are softened. Add the garlic and cook about 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the paprika and caraway seeds and stir for 1 minute. Return the chicken to the pan.
- Mix together the stock, vinegar, tomato paste, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the chicken. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 35 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.
- Add the cherry tomatoes to the casserole and shake vigorously to mix them into the sauce. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve hot with sour cream on the side for each diner to help themselves.
- prep 10 mins; cook 40-45 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!