Type: Main Dishes
Portugal's favorite chicken is really hot and spicy
Prep Time: prep 20 mins, plus cooling and marinating
Cooking Time: cook 1 hr 15 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1 chicken, about 3 1 / 2 lb ( 1.6kg)
- 6 fresh hot red or green chiles
- 1 / 2 cup olive oil
- 1 / 4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp hot paprika
- 1 / 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Spread the chiles on a baking sheet. Roast about 15 minutes, until shriveled. Let cool, then remove the stalks from the chiles. Combine the whole chiles, oil, vinegar, paprika, oregano, garlic, and salt in a saucepan. Simmer over low heat for about 3 minutes. Let cool. Purée in a blender.
- To butterfly the chicken, use kitchen shears to remove the backbone of the chicken. Press down on the breastbone to spread out the chicken. Transfer the chicken to a nonreactive dish. Coat the chicken with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on a baking sheet, skin side up. Roast about 1 hour. Serve hot.
- prep 20 mins, plus cooling and marinating; cook 1 hr 15 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!