Chicken roasted in olive oil
This is a delicious version of the classic dish, served in many celebratory meals.
Prep Time: 5M
Cooking Time: 1H
Serves: serves 4
Dairy, egg, gluten, & nut free
- 2 1/2-3 lb free range chicken
- 1 lemon
- 1 onion, halved
- fresh parsley, chervil, or marjoram
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice over the chicken. Place the squeezed lemon halves in the cavity along with the onion halves. Alternatively, for an attractive garnish, place the lemon halves in the roasting pan alongside the chicken.
- Finely chop the herbs and mix them with a little olive oil. Gently pry the skin away from the chicken breast and use the herbs to stuff the gap between the skin and the chicken breast.
- Using your hands, rub olive oil into the skin of the chicken and then season generously with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 1 hour or until the chicken is browned and the juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thigh.
Excerpted from Allergy-Free Cookbook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!