Chicken Tikka Masala
Type: Main Dishes
This creamy Indian dish gets extra flavor from its marinade
Prep Time: prep 20 mins, plus marinating
Cooking Time: cook 25 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 8 skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1in ( 2.5cm) piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 fresh hot red chile, seeded
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro, plus more to garnish
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1 / 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the chicken thighs in a single layer in a shallow dish. Purée the garlic, ginger, lime juice, chile, cilantro and 1 tbsp of the oil in a food processor. Spread over the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 and up to 8 hours.
- Heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook about 4 minutes, until beginning to brown. Stir in the turmeric and cumin and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.
- Preheat the broiler. Line the broiler rack with oiled aluminum foil. Remove the chicken from the marinade, reserving the marinade. Place on the rack and broil, turning occasionally, about 5 minutes, until the chicken is singed and almost cooked through.
- Meanwhile, add the reserved marinade to the onion mixture. Stir in the cream, tomato paste, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often. Add the chicken to the sauce and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve hot.
- prep 20 mins, plus marinating; cook 25 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!