Chicken with Garlic and Spiced Celery Root
Your family will love this garlic chicken and spiced celery root recipe.
Prep Time: 25M
Cooking Time: 45M
Serves: Serves 4
- 8 chicken thighs on the bone, skin on
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 whole heads of garlic, skin on, top 1/3 of each sliced off
- 4 large all-purpose waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 large celery root (celeriac) or 2 small ones, peeled and cut into bite-size chunks
- 1-2 tsp mild curry powder
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Season the chicken well with salt and pepper. Pour 1 tablespoon of the oil in a flameproof roasting pan, and place over high heat. When very hot, add the chicken pieces skin-side down, and cook, turning occasionally, for 5-8 minutes or until browned all over.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and add the garlic heads, turning to coat with the fat. In a large bowl, toss the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, the potatoes, celery root, and the curry powder, to taste. Season with salt and pepper, and add to the pan.
- Roast in the oven for about 45 minutes, stirring the vegetables once or twice, until the chicken is white throughout and the potatoes are golden, but still tender. If the exposed garlic tops get too dark during cooking, slice them off before serving. Serve with wilted spinach.
- Stir the potatoes and celery root halfway through the cooking time, then continue checking occasionally so they don't burn.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!