Chicken with Lemon and Olives
Lemon and olives complement this chicken dish perfectly.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 1H
Serves: Serves 4
- 4 large chicken thighs with skin on
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- drizzle of olive oil
- leaves from a few sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 large fennel bulb, coarsely chopped
- handful of green olives, pitted
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- Season the chicken thighs generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle with the lemon juice and olive oil, pat on the thyme leaves. Transfer to a large bowl or heavy-duty zipper-seal plastic bag, and leave to marinate for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a small roasting pan and add the fennel-everything should fit snugly. Season well, then put in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Add the olives and wine, being careful that it doesn't spatter. Return the pan to the oven and cook for another 20 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (180°C), cover the pan with foil, and cook for another 20 minutes so the alcohol cooks away but the chicken remains moist. Check doneness by piercing one of the plumpest thighs with the tip of a sharp knife-if the juices run clear, it's cooked. Serve with creamy mashed potatoes, if desired.
- Cheat...Smear the chicken with 3-4 tsp store-bought tapenade before roasting, and omit the olives.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!