Chicken with Thyme and Lemon
The combination of lemon, thyme, and a light, buttery glaze makes this chicken a special dinner dish
Prep Time: prep 15 mins, plus standing
Cooking Time: cook 1 hr
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1 chicken, about 4lb ( 1.8kg), jointed into 8 pieces
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp chopped thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 / 2 cup dry white wine
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Spread the chicken in a single layer in a roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grate the lemon zest into a bowl. Add the butter, oil, thyme, and garlic, and combine.
- Dot the lemon and thyme mixture evenly over the chicken. Cut the reserved lemon into chunks and tuck around the chicken. Pour the wine over the chicken.
- Roast the chicken for 50-60 minutes. Turn and baste the chicken occasionally, until the chicken is golden brown and the juices run clear when the meat is pierced with a knife. Add a little more wine if the juices cook away. Serve hot.
- prep 15 mins, plus standing; cook 1 hr
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!