Chile Tofu Stir-fry
This quick and easy dish takes advantage of tofu's ability to take on other flavors
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 15 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 / 4 cup unsalted cashews
- 10oz ( 300g) firm tofu, cut into 1in ( 2.5cm) cubes
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 4 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 6oz ( 175g) bean sprouts
- 3 / 4 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp Asian chile-garlic sauce
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Heat the oil in a wok over high heat. Add the cashews and stir-fry for about 30 seconds or until lightly browned. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels.
- Add the tofu and stir-fry about 2 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to the paper towels. Add the onion and carrots and stir-fry for 2 minutes, until crisp-tender; add the red pepper, celery, and mushrooms and stir-fry for 3 minutes more. Finally add the bean sprouts and stir-fry for 2 minutes, until hot. Always keep the heat under the wok high so that the vegetables sear quickly without overcooking.
- Meanwhile, mix the stock, soy sauce, and chile sauce in a small bowl. Add the cornstarch, and stir to dissolve. Return the cashews and tofu to the wok and add the stock mixture. Stir until the sauce is bubbling and lightly thickened. Serve hot.
- prep 10 mins; cook 15 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!