Chili Macaroni Skillet
In two steps you can move a healthy, hearty meal of chile macaroni from the freezer to the table.
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) unsalted tomatoes, crushed
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsalted tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, drained
- 8 ounces ziti pasta (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coat a large, deep nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat. Add the ground beef, and cook, stirring to crumble, until the meat is no longer pink. Drain off and discard any excess fat.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the skillet, and stir to mix well. Increase the heat to medium-high, and allow the mixture to come to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 12 minutes, or until the ziti is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.