Chinese Chile Beef Stir-fry
Type: Main Dishes
This hot stir-fry is a good choice for lovers of Chinese food who like their dishes spicy rather than sweet and sour
Prep Time: prep 15 mins, plus marinating
Cooking Time: cook 10 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 3 tbsp soy sauce, preferably dark sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1lb ( 450g) beef round steak, cut into thin strips
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 / 2 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 fresh hot red chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and chopped
- 1 tsp peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 / 2 cup beef stock
- few drops of Asian sesame oil
- Mix the soy sauce, vinegar, and five spice powder together in a bowl. Add the beef and toss well. Season well with black pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 and up to 12 hours.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok over high heat. Add the bell pepper and stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add the chile, garlic, and ginger and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the broccoli and snow peas and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Transfer to a platter.
- Add the remaining oil to the wok and heat over high heat. Drain the beef from the marinade, reserving the marinade. Add the beef to the wok and stir-fry for 1 minute. Return the vegetables to the wok and pour in the marinade. Dissolve the cornstarch in the stock, and stir into the wok. Stir-fry the steak and vegetables until the sauce is boiling.
- Transfer to a plate, drizzle with the sesame oil, and serve at once.
- prep 15 mins, plus marinating; cook 10 mins
Chicken Chile Stir-fry: Substitute skinless and boneless chicken breast for the beef.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!