Cincinnati Five-Way Chili
In Cincinnati, Ohio, they make their chili with cocoa and cinnamon, add spaghetti, and serve it over oyster crackers.
Serves: Serves: 6
- 8 ounces ground 90% lean turkey or beef
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1 cup (one 8-ounce can) Hunt's Tomato Sauce
- 1 3/4 cups (one 14 1/2-ounce can) Swanson Beef Broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups hot cooked spaghetti, rinsed and drained
- 6 ounces (one 8-ounce can) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Kraft reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons oyster crackers
- In a large saucepan sprayed with butter-flavored cooking spray, brown meat and 3/4 cup onion. Stir in garlic, tomato sauce, beef broth, water, and vinegar.
- Add chili seasoning, cocoa, cinnamon, and black pepper. Mix well to combine. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- For each serving, place 1/2 cup spaghetti on a plate, ladle scant 1 cup chili over spaghetti, and sprinkle 2 tablespoons kidney beans, 2 tablespoons Cheddar cheese, 2 tablespoons onion, and 1 tablespoon oyster crackers over top.
- 2 1/2 cups broken uncooked spaghetti usually cooks to about 3 cups.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.