Coq Au Vin
Jazz up your chicken with mushrooms, garlic, and lots of spices.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 40M
Serves: Serves 8
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 10 garlic cloves, chopped
- 10oz (300g) side pork, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1lb 10oz (750g) button mushrooms
- 4 cups good red wine
- 4 cups hot chicken stock
- 21/2lb (1.1kg) skinless chicken pieces
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the butter and oil in a large heavy-based pot over medium heat, add the onions, and cook for 5 minutes or until starting to soften. Add the garlic and side pork (or bacon) and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the thyme and mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the wine, raise the heat, and allow to bubble for 5 minutes while the alcohol evaporates. Pour in the stock, bring to a boil, then add the chicken pieces. Combine well, bring to a boil again, then lower the heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Let cool completely, then transfer to a freezer-proof container (or 2 large freezer bags-4 portions per bag), seal, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, defrost overnight in the refrigerator, then transfer to a casserole dish, cover, and cook in an oven preheated to 350°F (180°C) for 25 minutes or until piping hot.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!