Creamy Tarragon Chicken
Fresh tarragon and cream is a classic pairing in French cuisine
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 35M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 4 chicken breasts, with skin and bones
- 9oz ( 250g) shallots, sliced
- 1 tsp dried herbes de Provence
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup hot chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp chopped tarragon, plus extra sprigs to garnish
- Melt the butter with the oil in a large flameproof casserole over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts, skin sides down, and cook for 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn them over and brown the other sides, about 2 minutes more.
- Turn the chicken breasts skin sides up, then sprinkle with the shallots, herbes de Provence, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Add the stock and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the casserole, and simmer for 25 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and the juices run clear when pierced with the tip ofaknife. Transfer the chicken to a platter and tent with aluminum foil. Boil the sauce over high heat until reduced by about half.
- Stir in the crème fraîche and chopped tarragon and continue boiling until thickened. If the sauce becomes too thick, add more chicken stock; then adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Coat the chicken with the sauce, garnish with the tarragon, and serve hot.
- large flameproof casserole
- the dish can be left to cool completely after step 2, then frozen for up to 1 month; thaw at room temperature, then complete the recipe
- Prepare ahead: Steps 1 and 2 can be prepared up to 1 day in advance and kept in a covered container in the refrigerator. Reheat and make sure the chicken is completely heated through before stirring in the crème fraîche.
- Good with boiled long-grain rice, or try mashed potatoes with olive oil, and chopped pitted black olives.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!