Crispy Beef and Vegetables
This crispy beef dish will get gobbled up in no time.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 30M
Serves: Serves 8
- 3 tbsp cornmeal
- 3 eggs
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 21/2lb (1.1kg) beef bottom round, cut into thin strips
- bunch of scallions, sliced in fourths lengthways
- 3 red chiles, finely shredded
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 14oz (400g) sugar snap peas, finely sliced
- 4 bok choy
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 4 tsp sugar
- Put the cornmeal and eggs in a mixing bowl, season, and mix together. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a wok, dip the beef into the cornmeal mixture, coat evenly, then add to the wok a few pieces at a time. Add more oil, if you need to. Cook for 2 minutes, or until crispy and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Wipe the wok clean with a paper towel and heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in it. Add the scallions, chiles, and garlic, and cook for a few seconds, stirring constantly. Add the peas and bok choy, and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the soy sauce, cooking wine, and sugar, and cook until the sugar has dissolved and the wine has evaporated. Return the meat to the wok, toss together until hot, then serve with rice.
- Use uncooked shelled shrimp instead of the beef. Cook them in exactly the same way.
- You can omit the sugar, if you like. It's not essential, and the dish will still taste great.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!