Crispy Tofu Cubes
Type: Main Dishes
Tofu prepared this way has a pleasant crispy-chewy texture. Use Crispy Tofu Cubes instead of meat in stir-fries, stews, and casseroles.
Serves: 5 servings
- 1 pound reduced-fat or regular firm or extra-firm tofu
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 cup vegetable, chicken, or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger, or 1 tablespoon
- freshly grated ginger root
- 1 teaspoon crushed fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon dark (roasted) sesame oil (optional)
- Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch cubes, and arrange the cubes in a single layer in a shallow nonmetal container.
- To make the marinade, place all of the marinade ingredients in a small bowl, and stir to mix well. Pour the marinade over the tofu cubes, and set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes, or cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Coat a large nonstick baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Remove the tofu cubes from the marinade, and discard the marinade. Arrange the tofu cubes in a single layer over the baking sheet, and spray the tops with the cooking spray.
- Bake at 375°F for 10 minutes. Turn the cubes and bake for 20 additional minutes, or until golden brown and crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside. (The longer the cubes bake, the crisper and chewier they will become.) If you are using frozen thawed tofu for this recipe, bake for only about 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes, as the frozen tofu is more porous and will cook faster.
- Remove the tofu cubes from the oven. They are now ready to add to stir-fries, stews, casseroles, and other dishes.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.