Dijon mustard, honey, and curry paste create a sweet and sour sauce that goes great with curried meatballs.
Serves: Yield: 45 appetizers
- 1 pound ground turkey breast or 95% lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon curry paste
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons curry paste
- Place all of the meatball ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, and mix thoroughly. Coat a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Shape the meatball mixture into 45 (1-inch) balls, and arrange the meatballs on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for about 25 minutes, or until thoroughly cooked. (At this point, the meatballs can be frozen for later use. See the Time-Saving Tip above. Transfer the meatballs to a chafing dish or Crock-Pot heated casserole to keep warm.
- To make the sauce, place all of the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan, and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, just until hot. Pour the sauce over the meatballs, toss gently to mix, and serve.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.