Dixie Carrot Casserole
Here's a dish that will easily have your family singing for their supper-and checking the timer to see when it's time for this cheesy carrot casserole to emerge from the oven!
Serves: Serves: 6
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups (two 16-ounce cans) sliced carrots, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can Healthy Request Cream of Celery Soup
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Kraft reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (2 1/4 ounces) unseasoned dry bread cubes
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- In a large skillet sprayed with butter-flavored cooking spray, sauté onion for 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery soup, and Cheddar cheese. Mix well to combine. Continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese starts to melt, stirring occasionally.
- Spread mixture into prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine bread cubes, parsley flakes, skim milk, and black pepper. Mix just until cubes are moistened.
- Evenly sprinkle mixture over carrot mixture. Lightly spray top with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Place baking dish on a wire rack and let set for 5 minutes. Divide into 6 servings.
- Pepperidge Farm bread cubes work great
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.