Duck with Pink Grapefruit and Chicory Salad
Spice things up at dinner by serving duck with pink grapefruit and chicory salad.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 25M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 boneless duck breasts, about 51/2oz (150g) each, skin on and scored in a crisscross pattern
- handful of fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 pink grapefruits, peeled and segmented
- 1 small head chicory (curly endive), leaves separated
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Melt the butter in a large nonstick frying pan over high heat, then add the duck breasts, skin-side down, and the rosemary. Cook the breasts for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden all over. Increase the heat, add half of the balsamic vinegar, and let simmer for a few minutes, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer everything to a roasting pan, and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until cooked to desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad. Combine the grapefruit segments, chicory, and fennel, in a bowl. Toss gently to mix. Drizzle in the remaining balsamic vinegar, season with salt and pepper, and toss again.
- To serve, divide the salad equally among 4 plates. Cut each duck breast in half, then slice diagonally. Place sliced duck on top of each salad.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!