Egg and Ham Pie
Egg and ham pie is easy to make and perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 35M
Serves: Serves 6
- 2 sheets prepared dough for an 8-9in (20-23cm) pie
- all-purpose flour
- 7oz (200g) cooked ham, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 6 large eggs, plus 1 extra yolk, lightly beaten, for egg wash
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Roll out each piece of pastry on a floured work surface to fit a 10 ื 6in (25 ื 15cm) rectangular tart pan. Use one of the pieces to line the pan, making sure that the pastry fits neatly into the corners.
- Scatter the ham evenly over the bottom of the pastry shell. Carefully break the 6 eggs into the shell, positioning them evenly, leaving the yolks whole. Drizzle cream over the top, and season well.
- Moisten the edges of the pastry shell with water, then cover with the other piece of pastry to make a lid. Trim away the excess, and press the edges of the pastry together to seal. Brush with a little of the egg wash, and bake for 25-35 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or cold with a tomato salad.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!