Eggplant Stuffed with Tomato Rice
A tomato and rice mixture is the perfect filling for this eggplant dish.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 30M
Serves: Serves 4
- 4 small eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 11/4 cups tomato juice
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- small handful of fresh dill, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Scoop out the flesh from the eggplants, chop into bite-size chunks, and set aside. Place the shells in a roasting pan, and brush with oil. Cover with foil and roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes while you cook the rice.
- Prepare the rice according to the package directions. Drain if needed, then pour in the tomato juice. Sprinkle in the sugar and season well with sea salt and black pepper. Stir until the tomato juice is absorbed.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over a low heat. Add the onion, dill, and a pinch of salt. Cook until the onion is soft, then add the reserved eggplant flesh, and cook for another 5 minutes. Season with pepper, stir in the tomato rice mixture.
- Remove the eggplant shells from the oven, and carefully spoon the mixture into them. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil, and return to the oven for another 5 minutes, until heated through. Serve hot with a crisp green salad.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!