This thin-crusted tart from Alsace is topped with sweet onions and crisp smoky bacon
Prep Time: prep 20 mins, plus cooling
Cooking Time: cook 50 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fromage blanc (or cottage cheese rubbed through a sieve)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp crème fraîche
- Basic Pizza Dough ( p98)
- 4oz ( 115g) thick-sliced bacon, chopped
- Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cover. Cook 10 minutes, until softened. Uncover and cook, stirring often, 15 minutes, until golden. Let cool.
- Beat the fromage blanc, eggs, and cornstarch until smooth. Stir in enough crème fraîche until the mixture is spreadable.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Lightly oil two 13 × 9in (33 × 23cm) rimmed baking sheets. Cut the dough in half and stretch and press each portion into a baking sheet. Spread an equal amount of the cheese mixture over each, leaving a 1in (2.5cm) border, and top with equal amounts of the onion and bacon. Bake for 30 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. Serve hot.
- prep 20 mins, plus cooling; cook 50 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!