Type: Main Dishes
An unsurpassable dish made with good-quality ingredients
Prep Time: 5M
Cooking Time: 5M-15M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1lb 5oz ( 600g) fresh fettuccine, or 1lb ( 450g) dried
- 8 tbsp butter, cubed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the fettuccine and cook according to the package instructions, just until al dente.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the cream and heat until steaming. Drain the fettuccine well, and add to the hot cream mixture. Add the Parmesan and toss well to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the pasta among warmed plates. Serve at once, with more grated Parmesan passed on the side, or shave curls from a chunk of Parmesan over each serving.
Pasta with Parmesan: For a lighter version of this dish, omit the butter and cream. Toss the hot pasta and Parmesan with 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil. Season with pepper.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!