Fish Sticks with Chunky Tartar Sauce
These homemade fish sticks are easy to make and will be gobbled up in no time.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 10M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1-2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 11/2lb (675g) thick-cut skinless white fish fillets, such as haddock, sustainable cod, or pollack
- 1 cup toasted homemade bread crumbs (see Cook's Notes)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- about 3 tbsp prepared tartar sauce
- 1 tsp capers, rinsed, drained, and chopped
- 3 gherkins, drained and finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Cut the fish fillets into thick, even strips about 1in (2.5cm) wide-you should end up with about 20 "sticks."
- Put the flour and egg onto separate plates. Mix the bread crumbs with the Parmesan, and season with salt and pepper. Dredge the fish in the flour, then dip in the egg to coat. Use the bread crumb mixture to coat each of the fish sticks. Coat them well, because this protects the fish while it's cooking.
- Place the fish sticks on a lightly oiled baking sheet without crowding, and bake for 10-15 minutes, turning once, until golden on the outside and opaque throughout. (Alternatively, fry the fish sticks, a few at a time, in a little peanut oil.)
- Spoon the tartar sauce into a bowl, and stir in the capers and gherkins. Serve with the hot fish sticks.
- Serves 4
- To make the bread crumbs, process about 3 slices of firm-textured white bread slices in a food processor to make coarse crumbs. Spread out the crumbs on a baking sheet, and toast in a preheated 400°F (200°C) oven for 5 minutes until golden. Pour them back into the processor, and process again until finely ground. Use at once or freeze in an airtight container until needed.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!