Five-spice and Honey Chicken with Peppered Greens
This chicken dish is sweet, spicy, and delicious.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 40M
Serves: Serves 4
- 2 handfuls of Chinese greens, such as bok choy, sliced
- splash of soy sauce
- 1in (2.5cm) piece of fresh ginger, finely grated
- pinch of hot red pepper flakes
- 1-2 tbsp honey
- juice of 2 limes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp five-spice paste or 2 tsp five-spice powder
- 8 chicken pieces (a mixture of thighs and drumsticks, preferably free-range)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Put the greens in a large bowl. Add the soy sauce, ginger, and pepper flakes, and season well with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together the honey, lime juice, 1 tbsp of the oil, and the five-spice paste until well combined. Coat the chicken well, and season with salt and pepper. Leave to marinate for at least 20 minutes if you have time.
- Heat 1 more tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add the chicken pieces, skin-side down. Cook for 5-8 minutes on each side until golden and crispy, then transfer to a roasting pan. Roast in the oven for about 40 minutes until beginning to char.
- Meanwhile, wipe out the frying pan with paper towels, reduce the heat slightly, and add the greens. Drizzle in the remaining 1 tbsp oil, and stir-fry for about 5 minutes until beginning to wilt. Serve hot with the crispy-skinned chicken.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!