Flattened Chicken with Tomato Sauce
Nobody can resist this chicken and tomato sauce dish.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 20M
Serves: Serves 4
- 4 small skinless boneless chicken breast halves (preferably free-range), about 4oz (115g) each
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, very finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 ื 14oz (400g) can diced tomatoes, with juices
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sandwich each chicken breast between 2 large sheets of plastic wrap, and pound with a meat mallet or the side of a rolling pin until evenly flattened and about 1/4in (6mm) thick. Season well with salt and pepper, dust with the flour, and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over low heat. Add the onion, and cook for 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic, and cook, stirring, for about 10 seconds.
- Stir in the tomatoes and their juices and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a low simmer, and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season well with salt and pepper
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in another frying pan over high heat. Add the chicken, and cook for 10-15 minutes, turning once, until golden and cooked through. Remove from the pan and serve immediately with the rich tomato sauce spooned over the top.
- A tablespoon of pesto stirred into the sauce really peps up the flavors; alternatively, stir in a pinch of hot red pepper flakes.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!