Garden Vegetable Linguine
Type: Main Dishes
Loads of chunky vegetables suffuse the linguine in this dish!
Serves: 4 servings
- 1/4 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable broth, divided
- 8 ounces linguine or spinach fettuccine pasta
- 2 teaspoons crushed fresh garlic
- 1 1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 medium-small yellow squash, halved lengthwise and sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diagonally sliced carrots
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup grated nonfat or regular Parmesan cheese
- Place the sun-dried tomatoes and 1/4 cup of the broth in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 2 minutes, or until the tomatoes are plumped. Remove the pot from the heat, and cover to keep warm.
- Cook the pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain well, return to the pot, and cover to keep warm.
- While the pasta is cooking, coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, and stir-fry for about 30 seconds, or just until the garlic begins to turn color. Add the vegetables, oregano, and 1/4 cup of the remaining broth. Cover and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Reduce the heat under the skillet to medium-low, and add the pasta, the undrained sun-dried tomatoes, and, if desired, the pecans to the skillet mixture. Stir the cornstarch into the remaining 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of broth, and pour over the pasta and vegetables. Toss gently for about 1 minute, or until the sauce thickens slightly. Add a little more broth if the mixture seems too dry.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, and toss in the Parmesan. Serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.