Garlic and Chile Chicken with Honey-sweet Potatoes
Garlic and chile chicken goes great with honey-sweetened potatoes.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 1H15M
Serves: Serves 4
- 8 chicken pieces (preferably a mixture of free-range thighs and drumsticks)
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 fresh red jalapeño chile peppers, seeded and sliced
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1/2 garlic bulb, cloves separated, peeled, and smashed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 11/4 cups hot chicken stock
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Season the chicken well with salt and pepper and coat the sweet potatoes with the honey.
- In a large heavy flameproof casserole, heat 1 tbsp of the oil over medium heat. Add the sweet potatoes and cook for 5 minutes until beginning to brown, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, and heat the remaining oil in the same pan. Brown the chicken for about 5 minutes on each side until nicely golden all over. Add the chiles, thyme, and garlic. Return the sweet potatoes to the pan, and season well.
- Pour in the wine and stock, cover the pan, and transfer to the oven to cook for 1 hour. Check the casserole a few times during cooking, stirring if needed, or add a small amount of stock if it is too dry. Serve hot with thick slices of fresh crusty bread.
- Substitute your favorite winter squash for the sweet potatoes.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!