Glazed Fillet of Beef Roasted with Potatoes and Olives
Glazed beef and roasted potatoes are the perfect meal for any day of the week.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 1H30M
Serves: Serves 6
- 8 large all-purpose waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp red currant jelly
- 4lb (1.8kg) fillet of beef
- handful of black olives, pitted
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Put the potatoes in a large roasting pan with 1 tablespoon of the oil, toss to coat, then season well with salt and pepper. Place in the oven while you prepare the beef.
- Put the red currant jelly in a saucepan over low heat for 5 minutes, until liquified, then brush all over the beef and season well with salt and pepper. Heat a large frying pan over high heat, add the remaining oil, and sear the beef, turning, until browned all over.
- Turn the oven down to 350°F (180°C). Add the meat to the roasting pan and cook for 50 minutes to 1 hour for rare, 11/4 to 11/2 hours for medium, or longer for well-done. Add the olives to the pan for the last 10 minutes of cooking, stirring them into the potatoes.
- Remove the beef and keep warm while it rests for at least 15 minutes. Leave the potatoes in a little longer if they are not yet browned and tender inside. Slice the beef and serve with the potatoes and some fresh watercress.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!