Grande Meatloaf with Potato Stuffing
Type: Main Dishes
There are many delectable ways to prepare the classic meatloaf, but few are more full of flavor than this meatloaf recipe, which has a potato surprise at its heart.
Serves: Serves: 6
- 1 cup (2 1/4 ounces) instant potato flakes
- 2/3 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup Land O Lakes no-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon dried fine bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon chili seasoning
- 1 cup (one 8-ounce can) Hunt's Tomato Sauce
- 16 ounces ground 90% lean turkey or beef
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) shredded Kraft reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar Twin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with olive oil-flavored cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine potato flakes, water, sour cream, and parsley flakes. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine onion, green pepper, bread crumbs, chili seasoning, and 1/3 cup tomato sauce. Add meat. Mix well to combine.
- Pat half of mixture into prepared loaf pan. Spread potato mixture evenly over top. Pat remaining meat mixture over potato mixture.
- Stir Cheddar cheese and Brown Sugar Twin into remaining tomato sauce. Spoon sauce mixture evenly over top.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Place loaf pan on a wire rack and let set for 5 minutes. Cut into 6 servings.
From COOKING HEALTHY WITH THE KIDS IN MIND by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 1998 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here.