Grilled Lamb Cutlets and Eggplant with Red Cabbage Slaw
This meal tastes elegant but takes only a few minutes to make.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 10M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 eggplant, about 10oz (300g), thinly sliced lengthwise
- salt, for sprinkling
- 12 lamb cutlets, trimmed of any fat
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the red cabbage slaw
- 1/2 small red cabbage
- 31/2oz (100g) green beans, trimmed, blanched, and thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 celery ribs, peeled and thinly sliced diagonally
- 2oz (60g) hazelnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Put the eggplant slices in a colander, and sprinkle with salt. Allow to drain for 20 minutes, rinse, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat the barbecue or charcoal grill until hot. Brush the lamb cutlets with olive oil, and season with sea salt and black pepper. Grill the lamb over a medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil, and leave to rest in a warm place for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, grill the eggplant over high heat for 3 minutes on each side, until golden. Transfer to a plate, and keep warm.
- To make the slaw, finely slice or shred the red cabbage. Put the cabbage in a bowl, and add the remaining salad ingredients. Season with sea salt and black pepper, toss gently, and serve with the lamb cutlets and grilled eggplant.
- Use pine nuts instead of hazelnuts in the slaw.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!