Grilled Lemon-Pepper Mackerel with Tomato-Green Olive Relish
The tomato-green olive relish gives this mackerel dish Portuguese-inspired overtones.
Serves: Serves 4
- 4 mackerel fillets, about 8oz (225g) each (or substitute fillets of bluefish, pompano, or salmon)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely minced lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed (or 11/2 teaspoons ground cumin)
- 2 ripe tomatoes, cored and diced large
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped pitted green olives
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- If using whole cumin seeds in the relish, toast them on the stove top in a skillet over medium-high heat until they are fragrant and just a shade darker (3-5 minutes). Set them aside.
- Build a fire in your grill. When the coals are all ignited, the fire has died down, and the temperature is medium (see Gauging the temperature), you're ready to cook.
- While the coals are heating up, make the relish: Combine the cumin, tomatoes, olives, olive oil, parsley, mint, and capers in a medium bowl and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and transfer to a serving dish.
- Now make the rub: Combine the black pepper, lemon zest, ginger, and salt in a small bowl and mix well.
- Rub the mackerel fillets all over with the olive oil and then coat with the spice rub, pressing gently to be sure it adheres. Put the fillets on the grill over the coals and cook until they are nicely seared on the outside and just opaque on the inside (4-6 minutes per side). To check for doneness, manipulate one of the fillets so you can see inside it at its thickest point to be sure it is just opaque all the way through.
- Serve each fillet topped with a spoonful of relish, and pass the remaining relish on the side.
Excerpted from Grill It!.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!