Ham and Cheese Calzones
Type: Main Dishes
Ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and lean ham will sell this calzone to any crowd!
Serves: 4 calzones
- 1 recipe Pizza Dough
- 3 tablespoons beaten egg white or fat-free egg substitute
- 3 ounces finely chopped ham (about 2/3 cup), at least 97% lean
- 2/3 cup nonfat or reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 2/3 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- To make the filling, place all of the filling ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, and stir to mix well. Set aside.
- Divide the dough into 4 portions, and shape each portion into a ball. Working on a lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll each ball into a 7-inch circle.
- Spread a quarter of the ham mixture over half of each crust to within 1/2 inch of the edges. Moisten the edges of the dough with water, and fold the circle in half to enclose the filling. Seal the edges by pressing with the tines of a fork.
- Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray, and transfer the calzones to the sheet. Brush the tops lightly with the beaten egg white or egg substitute, and prick the tops in a couple of places with a fork. Bake at 450°F for about 10 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned. Serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.