Boiling the ham first makes it nice and moist
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 2H
Serves: makes 10-12 servings
- 7lb ( 1.35kg) boneless ham butt
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 3 bay leaves
- 12 peppercorns
- 1/2 cup honey
- grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- about 20 whole cloves
- orange slices, to garnish
- Place the ham in a pot and add cold water to cover. Add the onion, bay leaves, and peppercorns and bring a boil over medium heat. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 11/2 hours. Drain the ham and cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Combine the honey, orange zest, and juice.
- Trim off the ham skin, leaving a layer of fat. Cut crisscrosses in the fat and push in the cloves. Line a roasting pan with foil. Place the ham on a rack in the pan and pour in 1 cup water. Brush the ham with half of the honey mixture.
- Bake the ham for 10 minutes. Baste with the remaining honey mixture. Bake another 10 minutes or until glazed. Let stand for 20 minutes. Garnish with orange slices.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!