Honey Mustard Barbecued Chicken
Type: Main Dishes
The sweetness of honey and the tang of whole grain mustard combine to make a delicious glaze for barbecued chicken
Prep Time: 10M, plus marinating
Cooking Time: 25M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 8 chicken drumsticks or thighs
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
For the glaze
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp whole grain mustard
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- Make 2 or 3 deep cuts into each drumstick. Whisk the ketchup, orange juice, vinegar, olive oil, garlic, oregano, and pepper together in a nonmetallic bowl. Add the chicken and mix to coat well. Cover and refrigerate, occasionally turning the chicken, for at least 6 and up to 24 hours.
- Build a medium fire in an outside grill. Remove the chicken from the marinade, reserving the marinade for basting. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place the chicken on the grill and cover. Grill for 20 minutes, turning and basting frequently with the marinade. Discard marinade.
- To make the glaze, mix the honey, mustard, and lemon zest together. Brush the chicken with glaze and cook for 10-15 minutes more, or until the chicken juices are clear when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
- Prepare ahead: Marinate the chicken for up to 24 hours.
- Good with a crisp green salad and grilled corn on the cob.
Honey Mustard Barbecued Pork: The marinade and glaze can also be used for thick-cut pork chops.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!