There are many versions of this dish, all of which are based on lamb and potatoes. This one is a hearty casserole
Prep Time: 20M
Cooking Time: 1H30M-1H40M
Serves: makes 4-6 servings
- 3 large baking potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 2lb ( 900g) boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1 1/2 in ( 3.5cm) pieces
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 3 carrots, thickly sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- large sprig of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 1/2 cups lamb stock or beef stock
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Beginning and ending with potatoes, layer the lamb, onions, and carrots in a large, heavy casserole, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper. Tuck in the thyme and bay leaf. Add the stock and cover.
- Bake for 1 hour. Uncover and bake 30-40 minutes more, until the potatoes are browned and the meat is very tender. Serve hot.
- Prepare ahead: The stew can be made up to 2 days ahead, cooled, covered, and refrigerated. Reheat thoroughly in the oven before serving.
- Good with a fresh green vegetable, such as kale or broccoli.
Beef and Potato Stew: Substitute boneless beef chuck for the lamb.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!