Italian Baked Chicken
A tomato and vegetable mixture covers browned and baked chicken breasts.
Serves: 4 servings
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 5 ounces each)
- 3/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, or 2 teaspoons crushed fresh garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced 3/4-inch thick
- 2 cups halved fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- Rinse the chicken with cool water, and pat it dry with paper towels. Place the Italian seasoning, garlic powder or garlic, pepper, and salt in a small bowl, and stir to mix well. Rub both sides of the chicken with the spice mixture.
- Coat a large oven-proof nonstick skillet with nonstick olive oil cooking spray, and preheat over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the skillet, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until nicely browned. Remove the skillet from the heat, and set aside.
- Place the tomatoes and tomato paste in a large bowl, and stir to mix well. Add the zucchini, mushrooms, and onion, and stir to mix well. Spread the vegetable mixture over and around the chicken in the skillet.
- Cover the skillet with aluminum foil, and bake at 350°F for about 35 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is no longer pink inside. Serve hot with brown rice or pasta, if desired.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.