Italian-Style Pot Roast
Type: Main Dishes
This tender roast can be the centerpiece of an elaborate meal, or simply be served with a salad and bread.
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 3/4-pound top round roast or London broil
- 2 teaspoons crushed fresh garlic, or 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (1 pound) unsalted tomatoes, crushed
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon granules
- Trim all visible fat from the meat. Rinse the meat with cool water, and pat it dry with paper towels. Spread the garlic or garlic powder over both sides of the meat, and sprinkle with the pepper.
- Coat a large oven-proof skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium-high heat. Place the meat in the skillet, and brown for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Spread the onions and mushrooms over the meat. Place the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, Italian seasoning, and bouillon granules in a large bowl, and stir to mix. Pour the tomato mixture over the meat and vegetables.
- Cover the skillet tightly with aluminum foil, and bake at 350°F for 2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Serve hot, accompanying the roast with spaghetti, linguine, or another pasta, if desired.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.