Kasha with Vegetables
Type: Main Dishes
Kasha, also called buckwheat groats, is a healthy and delicious whole grain cereal that can be prepared in a manner similar to risotto to make a hearty vegetarian main course
Prep Time: prep 5 mins
Cooking Time: cook 40 mins
Serves: makes 4-6 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 / 3 cup kasha (buckwheat groats)
- 1 / 2 cup dry white wine
- about 4 1 / 4 cups hot vegetable stock or water
- 1 beet, cooked until tender, chopped
- 2oz ( 55g) rindless goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, mushrooms, celery, and garlic, and cook, stirring often, for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add the kasha and cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes more. Add the wine and stir until it has been absorbed.
- Stir in 1/2 cup hot vegetable stock and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring, until the stock is absorbed. Stir in another 1/2 cup of stock and repeat. Continue cooking and adding more stock for about 20 minutes, or until the kasha is tender but still a bit chewy.
- Stir in the beet and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with cheese and parsley. Serve hot.
- prep 5 mins; cook 40 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!